Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 3... a bit of "excitement"

Yesterday was a busy day.

I felt like I was getting sick to my stomach, but realized that I had just taken my first full dose of Celexa, and know that nausea can be a side effect. So I ignored it for a bit. But then it seemed to just be localized to my right side. And then it was a bit of discomfort in my kidney area.

I ignored it still.

After about 20 minutes, it was quite a lot of pain.

Once it got to the point that I realized this was definitely more than just in my head, I was panicked. I called my mom, and she said to call my doctor. I called my doctor, and she said to go to the ER. She said she was sure it wasn't something serious, but probably just the stone, and that they'd have to give me a shot for the pain and might have to do a surgical procedure.

My friend Sara came to my rescue and I dropped Brooke off with her, so that she could go to school, and my mom went with me to the ER. By the time I got to my mom's house, the pain was nearly gone. I could still feel it if I turned or something, but it was pretty much nonexistent.

We sat there for over an hour without them even calling me up to find out why I was there. When I finally talked to the girl, I felt like it was pointless for me to be checked in, because I was no longer in pain. I also had an order for an ultrasound and (I thought) some bloodwork (this was from before and I just brought the order with me) regarding the kidney, so I figured I'd just go to the lab and get that done instead. So I went, and she said, "This isn't a lab, it's an ultrasound. You have to schedule an appointment for that." So we left. I scheduled the appointment, and I have to fast and drink water for it. It's at 10AM.

My mom and I went to Friendly's for lunch, and then I dropped her back off and came home.

I'm not looking forward to the ultrasound. I mean, I'm definitely not looking forward to the continued fasting and water holding part, but I hate waiting on test results. It's maddening and just a nightmare for me in general.

I did email my doctor what happened and she just emailed me back, "Thanks for the followup." So obviously she didn't think I did the wrong thing. I do feel stupid for making such a big deal out of something that was nothing. It was probably gas or something. I feel like an idiot. To be fair, though, at the time I felt like my kidney might explode or something.

Corbin and Brooke got home from school and I realized that Brooke's snack day was tomorrow (now today). I was planning on making something easy at home, but since I had to go to the store anyway, I figured I'd just pick up some Wendy's for dinner. I'm not a big fan of fast food, but Wendy's is okay. I usually get their salad.

So I told the kids to get coats on to go, and Brooke started crying. She wanted to bring her little bear with her (it's a littlest pet shop bear) but she couldn't find it. I guess it's just mommy instinct, but I could tell that the bear wasn't the problem. I knew it was that she's stressing about Tim not being home. I hugged her and found the bear for her, and we got around to go. She was okay after that.

I asked Brooke in the car what she wanted to bring for her snack. She said she wanted to bring M&M's. Well, I'm not going to bring in candy for a snack, so I told her it has to be something healthier. She started having a fit about it, and I told her that if she were going to do that, she wouldn't be allowed to choose. Then she actually came up with a pretty good idea. She wanted to bring graham crackers. (Corbin calls them "Gramma crackers", because his Gramma Peters always gives them to him when he goes to her house. lol)

I said that's a great idea. Then I said, "Hey do you want to see if we can find Teddy Grahams?" And she was very cool with that. We looked for a bit, and I could find boxes of Teddy Grahams, but not individual packets. I didn't really want to do it that way, but it was all there was. So I asked her to pick a flavor and she chose the "chocolatey chip" kind. Then I asked her if she might want to also bring yogurt for everyone to dip their teddy's into, and she did. So I bought two large containers of plain yogurt. (I wanted vanilla, but there was only one container of vanilla, and I wasn't sure if that would be enough.) I hope it tastes okay for the kids.

We left and were getting back into the car, and Corbin asked if he could buckle his own seatbelt this time, because it's a skill that he hasn't yet quite mastered. But I think the other day I had him give me his seatbelt and I finally described it in a way that he could understand. (You have to lift the clasp and pull the belt, several times to get it long enough, and if you're new to it, it's definitely a weird process to grasp.) So I let him and after a minute or so, he actually did get himself buckled. He was SO PROUD! (Me too. :n) ) He couldn't wait to tell his dad. He told me how proud he was that he did it. And that he knew his dad was going to be proud of him, too. He was pretty sure that he'd be able to sit in the far back seat now, since he figured out how to buckle himself. (Must be one of us told him that he could sit back there once he could do it himself...)

After bathtime, he was getting out of the tub, and putting his underpants back on. He was looking for the tag to put them on the right way, but I teased him and said, "Yellow in the front, brown in the back." He snapped his head up and said, "WHAT?!"

I laughed and said, "Yellow in the front, brown in the back!"

He said, "Do you mean..." and he started laughing, hard. "Do you mean poop and pee??"

I laughed and told him that's what Dupa used to say. He had to call Dupa and ask him, and he could barely get the words out, trying to find out if Dupa meant poop and pee when he said it. Then he told my mom and got hysterical all over again. LOL

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you went to the doctor. Better safe than sorry, especially when you are in pain and just took a full dose of new medicine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you were over-reacting at all to go to the ER, especially knowing you've got a kidney stone. That's not something to mess with, it could have been obstructing your urinary tract or something. I'm glad you got it checked out and scheduled the ultrasound, I hope that goes well.

    LOL @ Corbin, silly boyyyy!!!

    ((((((hugs)))))) to you alllllll!!!

    And XOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete