Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fun and not-so-fun keeping busy.

We've been continuing to keep busy. Sometimes in fun ways, and sometimes in not-so-fun ways.

Both of the kids have been sick lately. (Not-so-fun). Brooke has had a miserable cold for a few days now. Yesterday it started to lighten up a bit, and she seems to be feeling much better today. Her "mustache" is slowly receding. My poor fair-skinned kids always get raging nose-wipe-mustaches whenever they get colds.

I've been giving her Triaminic Cough and Cold (Daytime or Nighttime, given the situation).

Corbin OTOH, had the same cold about a week ago. Then on Saturday morning, he told me that he had a headache above his left eyebrow. I gave him some Tylenol, and he felt better. Sunday, he told me the same thing. I gave him some Tylenol, and he felt better, but then it came back again while we were out at lunch. Now I was starting to worry. Same headache, same spot. You all know me. My first thought is BRAIN TUMOR, and I'm trying not to freak out. My sensible side was trying to take over and calm me down, and so I figured that it's probably a sinus thing, since that's the area that the sinuses are located. I bought him some Motrin and some Sudafed Sinus Decongestant (from behind the pharmacist counter). He felt better.

Yesterday (Monday) morning, I gave him just the sudafed and sent him to school. At just past 10AM, the nurse called, and asked me to come pick him up. She said he was complaining of a headache, and since he's not a "regular visitor", and was crying, she thought I should come get him. I took him to the doctor, and lo and behold, he has an ear infection. I feel better knowing that's all it is, and he obviously feels better getting the proper treatment for it. He has an antibiotic and some ear drops.

Over the weekend, though, we did manage to sneak in a little bit of fun. We took the kids costume shopping. :n) It was far too expensive, but you only get like 9 or 10 really good Halloweens with your kids, if you figure that they don't care about it until they are 3 or so, and then after 12 years old, they are getting too old for it, and don't want you to take them around anyway. So, I think it's worth it to splurge on the costumes.

Corbin got the Bumblebee Transformers costume (The "deluxe" costume, which comes with some sort of armor). Brooke got Dora the Explorer, which comes with a wig, shorts and shirt and shoe covers. Oh and Backpack. She's pretty excited.

I looked for a really girly looking clown costume, but they really only had like, the huge one piece polka-dotted pajama looking thing for clown costumes. All of the adult female costumes were pretttyy skimpy. But I did find a costume that will work. It's supposed to be a ragdoll costume, but it's blue with large white polka dots, and it's a dress. I bought a red pigtail wig, and clown eyelashes and makeup. I think with the whole getup together, it will look clowny enough. :n) And, it IS an adult female costume, so it's a little skimpy. I might go back and buy some sort of bloomers to wear under it. Suffice it to say that I can't bend over (at all) in the dress as is. If I can't find bloomers, maybe I'll get some cute boxers to wear with it.

Oh, if you're wondering, Tim is a party pooper. He will not dress up.

While the kids are busy with school stuff, I'm busy with the kids' school stuff. I've been staying involved with their classes as much as possible. I'm on the mom committee for both classes. Both kids have Halloween parties coming up this month. Brooke's is on 10/28 and Corbin's is on 10/29. I've sent in supplies for Brooke's party, while Corbin's party I'm doing a lot of the major planning and helping out. I met with the other moms from his class for lunch last week. They're all nice ladies, so it will be nice to work with them.

For his party, I'll be running the "bobbing for donuts" game (BTW, while I'm thinking of it, Nee-Nee if you read this, I'd like to borrow your cane for that purpose if possible), where you hang donuts from a stick and the kids try to bite the donuts without using their hands. I'll also be helping them get their costumes on, and reading a Halloween story to them.

I'm planning to help out on party day with Brooke's class, but I don't know that I'll have as much opportunity. We'll see what happens. (Now I'm second guessing that her party day is the day before his instead of the day of....)

I'm also scheduled to volunteer at the Fall Festival on 10/29 from 4-6:30 with setting up (I think). Tim will have to come directly home from work that day to make sure to take care of the kids while I do that, or else maybe my parents could come help the kids out. They can attend the festival, but it's not going to be much fun for them to hang out with me while I help set up.

Brooke's birthday party planning has also kept me busy. I finally finished handcrafting (see, I hand-crafted them) her invitations for the other kids, now I just have to get to the post office and weigh them, and then buy Happy Birthday stamps for them. I'll probably mail them out like, on Halloween or close to it.

I also finished her Sprout Sunny Side Up card yesterday! Here's the final product:


It opens from the top down. I know that's a weird way to make a card, but it was the only way that made sense, given the shape of the card.

I had the inside all white, and then read on their paperwork to avoid using pink, orange or white paper because it doesn't show up well on TV. Greaaaat. So I colored it all in purple with crayon. I'm hoping it works well enough that they use it. I worked super hard on it, and I think that it's creative enough.... it just might be too big or not show up well on TV. Keep your fingers crossed! They say that they won't be able to let you know if your card will be on TV, so be on the lookout for it on November 17th. I'll do my best to record all of the Sunny Side Up show. If they show it on TV I'll try to record it with my camera and upload it, but we all know how well that has worked in the past....

So that's where I'm at right now. Still lots to do, still doing lots. Around all of this, I'm still figuring out how to keep up on the housework, not to mention weight loss stuff. I'm down 52 lbs. Only 8'ish more to go before I reach my goal. :n)

1 comment:

  1. Geez you ARE one busy bee! So sorry the kids have been sick. It sucks!
    I think it's great you spend some $$ on the costumes...It's true that kids only care about that stuff for so long.
    Austin is going to be a scarecrow so I was looking for a Dorthy costume but they were all slut costumes. I mean the skirts are REALLY short and it seems like any woman's costume is like that these days. Even the teen girl costumes I think are kinda slutty...My niece got her costume (shes 14) and I'm like REALLY? She looks like a hooker...
    I LOVE the birthday card!!!!! It's so great! If they don't show it on tv I will be really surprised. If you can remind me the day before her bday so Austin and I can watch it all morning!!!
    Have fun at all your parties!!!

    ReplyDelete