Tuesday, October 5, 2010

More about skewl

Last night I picked the kids up and went to the store to get the stuff for Corbin's snack today. I decided to make "green goo mummies":
  • hot dogs
  • crescent rolls
  • cheez whiz
  • mustard
  • green food coloring
I bought foot long hot dogs, because they were cheaper, but since it was for his snack, I decided to cut them in half. I actually used velveeta for his, but if I make them again, I'll definitely use cheez whiz, since the velveeta doesn't stay gooey; it hardens too fast. You use the food coloring to green up the cheese.

Then cut out small wedges near the top of the hot dog so that it looks like an open mouth.

Then you put a dob of green cheese onto a triangle of crescent roll, and wrap your hot dog up, taking care to leave space for the mouth and (eventually) eyes to show through.

Once you have them all wrapped up, you can use your mustard to carefully drop eyes onto them. Then bake per crescent roll package instructions. The mustard on the eyes hardens nicely. You might be able to do the same thing with ketchup if you used a smaller spout, but it was too runny for me to do it.

I realized only too late that I made those for their snack today, and then put corn dogs into Corbin's lunch. DOH! hot dogs twice in a day!

At any rate, while I was at the store with the kids yesterday, Tim called. He said that Corbin's teacher called and said that it was really nice of me to send in a note, that I'm a good mom, and, "we need more parents like you." She said she didn't think anything of it, and that kids just say things not intentionally to be mean. She said that he's such a sweet boy. So that made me feel good.

Corbin had requested tacos for dinner last night, so that's what I got. Tim cooked them for us, because I had to get a bunch of stuff taken care of before the PTS meeting (Parents and Teachers for Students; generic PTA, basically) last night.

I counted; there were 19 people there, and that includes the 4 board members and the principal. There were quite a few teachers there, but none that I knew. And I was the only new person there, it seemed like.

So, for anyone wondering what these meetings are like: BORING. Long and boring. It was pretty much just a review of how much money we have, then a discussion about upcoming fundraisers, then passing around papers for volunteers for the fundraisers, then voting on if we should spend the money that we have to send the kids on field trips. And yet, all of that took an hour and a half.

I don't carry cash... almost never. So I had to take $3 in quarters out of our piggy bank for "membership dues". When I explained this to her, she said, "You don't have to pay". Well, no, you don't have to, but on the paper it says something like, "No person will be denied membership due to an inability to pay membership dues." So, if I were poor. It's nothing to do with not having the money. It's that I don't carry cash that's the problem.

The other thing was that whoevers class had the most parents participate would get an ice cream party. Corbin specifically told me that. Well, Corbin's class won. lol He was excited when I told him that.

So, this morning we were running just a smidge late (like 1 minute, literally) and the bus came early. Augh! I decided that it would just be all around easier for me to bring him in, especially with the snack and everything. So we got there and like, there were NO students or buses there. I hadn't realized just how early we arrived. The teachers were all in their meeting, but the aide (Mr. Stevens) was in there. So we visited for a minute, dropped off Corbin's stuff and went back out to the lobby to wait. When the other kids got there, Corbin said, "That's Tristan!" and ran off. So we followed him back to the classroom, and I said, "Corbin; our arms and lips are lonely!" He laughed and came and gave us hugs and kisses.

On the way back out, we ran into Mrs. Greco, and she stopped me and said that she called last night, and that the note was very thoughtful. She reiterated that she knew he didn't mean anything by it, and that kids just say things, and then she said, "You're a really good mom."

So I was blushing, but anyway, I like her a lot better now. LOL

2 comments:

  1. Aww...that's so good. You ARE a good mom and there needs to be more like you! I'm really glad she said what she did because she was the teacher that people had not had a good impression about right? So great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snack sounds yummy, I wish we could send in homemade stuff! We can only send pre-made, prepackaged, store bought crap. Blah!

    You are a wonderful mom, Amy. Corbin and Brooke are so lucky to have you!!

    I'm glad you're feeling more comfortable with his teacher now.

    How is Brooke doing with school??

    ReplyDelete