Thursday, July 29, 2010

Improvements for Brooke

Brooke seems to be making some improvements lately. Yesterday was Wednesday, and she didn't have any so-called "accidents" at all. She was able to get her sticker last night, and she'll also be able to have her TV in her room back today. So all in all, that was about 3-4 days total before she went back to using the toilet full-time, after a change in schedule. It's definitely gone on a lot longer than that in the past before she recovered, so maybe it actually is getting easier for her.

Also, she essentially read her first word the other day. We were in the bathroom, and I was fixing her hair at the sink. She pointed to the faucet handle, and said, "That says 'hot'." I said, "You're right. How do you know it says 'hot'?" I know that she realizes that that's the one that the hot water comes out of, because she only uses the cold water one when she washes her hands. She said, "Because I just know, because I'm just really smart." lol

So I asked her what letters were in the word, and she worked out that it's h-o-t. Then I asked her what sound each letter makes, and we sounded it out together. "Hhhh-aaaaahhhh-tt... hh-ahh-ttt. hot." and I said, "And now, you're reading." And her face lit up. :n) It was a really great moment. :n)

Not only that, but she's really getting great with her letters, now, too. I wouldn't say that she recognizes all of the lower case letters, but she's getting much better with them. We always sing ABC's before we start workbooks, and I have her point to each letter as we go through. Then I point to the letter and say the name of the letter, and she says the sound a couple of times, and then the letter again. Like so:

Me: ::point to the a:: "a"
Brooke: a, a, "a"
Me ::point to the "b": "b"
Brooke, "buh, buh "b"
etc.

It used to be a struggle for her, that would take maybe five minutes (or more) to get through the whole alphabet, and now we're doing it in probably under 2 minutes.

I really need to work on some math with them as well, but I haven't really started trying that yet. I'm going to have to figure something out just for math....

2 comments:

  1. Glad she is doing better with the peeing! So great that she is making progress with the reading and such. You are such a good mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going more smoothly, I'm glad!!

    Yay for Brooke on doing so well with letters and letter sounds!! I can honestly say that Rayce has always been my smart cookie, and he knew all his upper case letters at 2, and I never even thought to work with him on lower case :o( He didn't know them until shortly before kindergarten, but he did fine. I really need to work more with Charlize!!

    As for preschool math... I would just start with counting things out and patterns for Brooke. Write down numbers and see which ones she recognizes, help her with the ones she doesn't. When she recognizes all the numbers, what I did with Charlize was write the number down on a piece of paper and have her put the corresponding number of XXX (buttons, blocks, whatever) next to it. Patterns is the other big thing in preschool... form a pattern and have her continue it.

    I think I remember you saying a while ago that Corbin was doing some addition on his own already? They have lots of free worksheets online that you can print out, give him a counting aid if he needs it, a pile or buttons or beads or something to help him count it out, only if he needs it. You might start with some very simple subtraction if he's got the addition down pretty well (they don't even do subtraction till 1st grade in school, but it never hurts to give him a leg up, especially since he's already advanced!).

    You're doing a great job, Amy, keep it up Mama!!

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete