Sooo Brooke's screening went well. :n) To my surprise, I was actually able to stay with her the entire time that she was being tested. I filled out paperwork while she was asked questions, and bit my tongue when I knew that she knew something but wasn't answering how she "should" have. It was a challenge. For me. LOL
Overall, she really did do great. She's three and a half as you probably know, and she scored in 5-6 age range for several things, 4-5 range for quite a few things, age 3 range for many things, as well. There were only 2 things that she scored a zero for which were cutting with scissors (which we don't practice, so she didn't do well, although her attempt was quite admirable, I must say!) and catching a ball, which, again, we don't really do much here at home, and the teacher said is very normal, too.
She does know her shapes, much better than I thought. :n) She knew all of her colors, and she counted to 30 (although, as usual, she skipped 15 and 18 lol). I was surprised when she sang her alphabet. Not because I didn't think she knew it, but because she's usually too shy to sing a song by herself when she's asked to. (When she's doing it on her own, she'll belt it out, though. lol)
She did a great job, I'm really happy with her!
Corbin, on the other hand...
Well, as far as how happy I am with him, I'm happy. :n) I'm just sad for him, because he has pinkeye! Poor guy. It's in both of his eyes.
Last night, he started having a drippy nose. Well, I have one sort of, too, and Tim had a pretty bad sore throat and cold last week. So I figured that it was just the beginning stages of that. Then this morning he woke up and his eyes were red. Considering that I have allergies and my eyes get red, and my nose has been dripping with no other symptoms (and the same was true for Corbin), I thought he must just have some sort of seasonal allergies.
But as the day got on, I saw that his eyes had gunk in them. So I wiped it out, and thought to myself that mayyyybe it was just from last night and he hadn't wiped it out yet. (I was trying to be hopeful. lol) Not the case. A bit later it was all there again, and even some on his eyelashes.
Luckily(?) for us, Brooke had pinkeye before, and I still have the prescription. The bottle was more than 2/3 full, so I'm thinking we'll be able to get through this round of it without anyone else getting it (I hope). OH geeze, I better change his bedding...
Anyway, he had never had eyedrops before, so getting him to let me put it in was a nightmare. He was screaming and bawling and putting his hands up to his face and clenching his eyes shut and telling me no. I tried telling him it's really not that bad, but he wasn't having it. So, after about 10 minutes, I had to go the other route, and tell him that what I was going to do to him was going to be a lot worse than eyedrops if he didn't stop. He asked me what I was going to do. lol I had no answer, because I wouldn't do anything to him. But I told him that he'd find out if he didn't let me just put the drops in. FINALLY I had him laying on his own hands so that he didn't put them to his face, and dropped it on the bridge of his nose and pulled his eyelids open so it would go in.
He still cried and convulsed, but by the time I got to the second eye (2 drops per eye), he calmed down enough that it wasn't quite so impossible to get the job done.
Afterwards he admitted that it only "burned" just a little tiny bit, and he said he wouldn't have a fit when I have to do it again tonight. I hate threatening either of them like that, but holy crap he was just out of control!
Going back to the pre-k stuff, though, there was a section in the paperwork that I had to fill out that asked about volunteering to do stuff, which of course I checked that I would, and I checked most of the stuff off (it asks about specific duties, such as envelope stuffing, clerical work, mending, etc.). After that, it asks if you want to do paid work for them, too. So I checked that I would! I think it was being a substitute teacher or something like that. As long as Brooke is there anyway, why not? Who knows if I'll get called for it, but it's kind of cool to think about working at the school where my kid goes. :n)
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad that Brooke did so well at her screening! I knew she would esp. since you work with her on stuff. I really think most parents could care less about that stuff. But I would have been nervous if it was Austin getting tested and it also would have been hard for me to just sit and be quiet! lol
ReplyDeleteThat's cool about the volunteering/work thing. When Austin goes to school I hope to do something like that. And to get paid would be bonus! Work the same hours as your kids and stuff would be awesome! When I was in elementary school my mom was a homeroom mother (I KNOW! SHOCKING, RIGHT?) and after awhile OES hired her as an aid to help kids that needed extra help with reading and stuff.
So sorry about the pink eye :( I really hope he gets better and that not everyone ends up being sick!!!!
That's really neat that you might be able to work where she's going to school!!
ReplyDeleteRayce wasn't good with the scissors at his kindergarten evaluation. We just never had let the kids near scissors, because I have too many smaller ones around. He got the hang of it very quickly and is no worse for the wear :o) That might be something you could add to your homeschool time, just draw lines on a paper for her to cut out, straight lines, wavy lines, zigzag lines, to practice.
I hope Corbin's eyes get better soon! Since you caught it on the first day, it'll probably clear up quickly. Pinkeye stinks, we've had it go around our family probably half a dozen times over the last few years.. and when one gets it, they all usually get it.